Sometimes, I've found, the life of an artist isn't as romantic as you first believe it will be. Much of your life is solitary, sitting at your table, working on your latest project. Its lonely and most of the time you feel as if you're spinning your wheels. While working on your latest series you sit back and cry "What am I doing?!? Why would anyone buy this? This is pointless!" And it's not until you spend time with others of your trade that you find that at some point we've all felt the same way. The trick is to get through the tough times and find things in life that make you happy. For me, this is interaction with humans, exploration and adventure. I'm am NOT a solitary creature and I HATE being bored. As independent as I thought I was....I still need conversation, joking and friendship.
I had a lovely chat with a veterinarian yesterday. I was dropping off posters to promote my pet commissions and she asked me about it. It was FANTASTIC. The sharing of ideas, compliments, hearing another human say something......I CRAVE IT. I need more of it. The problem is....I have trouble coming up with things to say. How exactly do you start a conversation with a stranger? I envy the people that can do this! What is the secret???
Sarah your art is great, I enjoy it. Jim can talk to anyone at any time .I have to work at it. You do need creative endeavors or something like this. Come visit us whenever you can, I will take you too any of my meetings, full or local artist.
ReplyDelete