"Night At The Grand"
5"x7" Original Watercolor and Pen on Paper
The third in my series of the Grand Hotel.
This one was a lot of fun to paint. I haven't done very many night scenes before as I find them difficult to execute correctly in watercolor. I feel like I need to blend to get from where the light is hitting as it fades into darkness. It's hard to do over large areas, working quickly, trying to control the paint. But I digress.
In the night sky I used a salt technique to give the impression of stars and to add a little texture to the painting. It's a tricky technique as you never quite know what it will do but in this instance I think it worked great.
I also found it hard to take an accurate photo of this and so the color is a touch off. The sky is actually darker than it appears as is some of the foliage.
I hope you enjoy it!
Have A Great Weekend!

No comments:
Post a Comment