Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"My Secrets"

I'm often asked at art shows what materials I use during my painting process. I thought perhaps it might be interesting to some if I shared "my secrets." 
Above is a picture of my pallet (which needs to be cleaned) that I bought from Cheap Joe's Art Stuff. It has a removable mixing trays and is is also very easy to transport. Cheap Joe's is a fantastic art supplier and I've been buying from them for the past three years. 
Also pictured are my three favorite brushes, a #8 round brush by Loew-Cornell, a #4 flatbrush from Wal-Mart, and a 3/4" flatbrush by Royal & Langnickel. I also use a small tipped Faber-Castell waterproof pen and your average pencil and Pink Pearl eraser. 
As for paints, I am loyal to no company but do favor Grumbacher, Venezia, and Windsor&Newton. I like nice bright pigments that spread easily without separating. 
The pickiest I get with my materials is the paper that I use. I buy 15"x22" 300lb cold pressed paper blocks by Kilimanjaro and cut the paper down to the size I need. This has become my FAVORITE paper and will probably be the only one I buy from now on. I buy it through Cheap Joe's. 
My paintings are often a mix of images I have taken and my imagination. When I go out for a walk or a road trip or a vacation I take a MILLION photos. I edit/delete some of them when I get home and sort them into folders on my computer desktop. The folders are labeled with titles of show and series ideas I've had. Then all I have to do is decide what I feel like painting that day and sit down to do it! 
Speaking of sitting down, most people are surprised at my actual work space. That's right folks, I paint at the dining room table! I yearn for my own studio space be it a spare room or a gallery space downtown but how else am I going to get there if I don't keep working towards it? Someday! 
If anyone has any other questions please leave a comment below and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. 
Thanks for your interest in my art! Its the motivation that keeps me going! 

2 comments:

  1. Sarah- I found you. I sent you a Christmas card but it came back to me. You would have loved our last Creative Endeavor Challenge day. We had two hours to create with 10 idea words something for a show and tell the third hour. We could use cameras or any art media. It was freezing so most of us stayed at the library. There were 8 of us I did collages and poems mixed .
    I love your art. I am so pleased you are so successful with it.You are a very good creator. I like how you portray Mich.in all her moods. I congratulate you on taking simple supplies with a simple space to create and doing a great job. I think most of what American women create is at their own kitchen tables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary- that does sound right up my alley! I would have really enjoyed that! I miss going to creative endeavors, I miss all the people!
    We've moved, by the way, which is probably why the card came back. We're in Petoskey now, I'll write to you so you have our new address!

    ReplyDelete